Simon Cowell to Alisah Bonaobra: 'Old-fashioned'



Popular "X Factor UK" host Simon Cowell has described Alisah Bonaobra's last performance as "old-fashioned" as the Filipino singer was finally eliminated after she got the least number of public votes from the hit reality show.

"Right now, she's heading to headline weddings and that's not what you want to do," said Cowell as the crowd booed him after he gave his critique on Bonaobra's performance during the live show.

Bonaobra performed George Michael's ballad "Praying for Time" for the X Factor 2017 Live Show Week 3 last Nov. 12.


In giving his comments, Cowell told Bonaobra: "I know your gonna sing that song well. It's one of my favorite songs of all time. I love your voice.

"Here's my only issue. I'm gonna keep saying this to you - this is not gonna move the dial. In other words, there was too much cream in the coffee. What I'm trying to say is that every time you do one of these songs, it's very old fashioned.

"And that's not why you're here. You don't want to be a contemporary singer. I still don't think you've nailed this version of a song," said the feisty British judge.


Cowell earlier said: "At some point, you have to put your own twist on a song."

Prior to her performance, Bonaobra said: "I'm worried with my lyrics because if I cannot connect with the lyrics, the song will be ruined. The song talks about hard times and poverty. It's very similar to the Philippines, that's why I can really relate to the song."

Judge Nicole Scherzinger, former member of the all-girl group The Pussycat Dolls, praised Bonaobra's performance.

"You are a little Filipino powerhouse up there. And when you sing, you just open up and your soul just soars out. Beautiful stunning performance," said Scherzinger.


Mentor Sharon Osbourne disagreed with Cowell.

"You connected with this song lyrically. The one thing I agree with this is you have been amazing but you haven't been that is one moment that it yours. You haven't had that yet. But my God! Do you have a voice that is unstoppable!

"How can you not love her? It's just amazing! You know what, sometimes it's good to be old-fashioned. What do they want you to do? Break into rap every week? You do what you do because you are being true to the artist that you are," said Osbourne.

Asked about her last performance, Bonaobra said: "With this song, I'm kinda emotional because in the Philippines, we experience this kind of issue. And I just can't really stop myself from praying but I really need to push this hard and sing this."


The 22-year-old Filipino singer thanked her supporters on her journey to the competition.

"I never thought I would go this far, and I can't believe I just did it and thank you for all your support," she said.

Bonaobra is deemed as one of the most memorable contestants in this year's edition of "X Factor UK" after she was booted out on several occasions but was given another chance to come back. But last Sunday's performance failed to impress the public with her performance. - ROBERT REQUINTINA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Loyzaga on viral nude video: 'It was an accident'

Sharon Cuneta slams noisy condo construction

The Philippines' handsomest security guards