50 girls compete in Miss Asia Pacific Int'l 2018 pageant



Fifty candidates from around the world are competing in this year's Miss Asia Pacific International beauty pageant.

This year's official candidates: Armenia Sona Danielyan; Australia Sapir Turkenitz, Bangladesh Marjana Chowdhury, Belgium Danique van Holsten, Bolivia Gianna Ruth Ardaya Ramirez, Brazil Gabriela Palma, Cambodia Annchhany Kha, Canada Ariel Jingjing Cao, China Liang Xiang Ying, Colombia Melissa Lopez Rios, Cook Islands Teuira Raechel Shanti Napa, Costa Rica Jessica Melania Gonzalez Monge, Ecuador Natalia Andrade, El Salvador Olga Maria Flores Ortiz, France Pauline Dubedat, Germany Madeline Andrea Ferrara, Greece Christina Alicia Lazaros, Guatemala Alejandra Castro, Hong kong Ching Yee Chong, India Abhilasha Agrawal, Indonesia Yohanna Gabriela, Italy Kim Ashly Vito, Japan Momoe Yada, Kazahkstan Didar Atmaja, Korea Songhwa Kang;

Macau Yang Jing, Malaysia Crystal Tung Lu Yie, Mauritius Manjusha Faugoo, Mexico Lisset Perez, Mongolia Misheelt Narmandakh, Morocco Chaimaa Hejam, Myanmar Yee Yee San, Nepal Aastha Saakha, Netherlands Raquel Van Gool, New Zealand Brooke Rachel Houia, Nigeria Stephanie Nete Omogun, Panama Kilmara Nayubel Carvajal Salcedo, Peru Karen Isabel Rojas Chavez, Philippines Sharifa Areef Mohammad Omar Akeel, Portugal Andreia Filipa Duarte Pereira, Puerto Rico Kimberly Crespo Faria, Russia Olga Pliusnina, Singapore Nerrine Ng, South Africa Monique Best, Suriname Michantely Chanel Cornelly Lisse, Thailand Sirakan Chaiprasit, United States of America McKenzie Lawrence, Uruguay Natalia Gurgel, Venezuela Mariani Nataly Chacon Angarita and Vietnam Huynh Thuy V.

                                                    Miss Philippines Sharifa Akeel

At the press presentation held at Conrad Hotel in Pasay City Sept. 18, Sharifa was named Darling of the Press. First-runner was Miss Germany while Miss Brazil Gabriela Palma was 2nd runner-up.

Sharifa graduated in elementary education from the Notre Dame of Salaman College. She reveals she has not taken the boards exams for teachers. "I am not a professional one. I will take the exams soon. Maybe after the pageant next year." She is in a relationship these days.


Aside from Sharifa, who is Filipino-Qatari, two other candidates have Filipino blood. They are Miss Germany Madeline Andrea Ferrara and Miss Italy Kim Ashly Vito.

The Filipino Muslim beauty queen shared her views on wearing swimwear during the international competition.

                       Reigning Miss Asia Pacific International Francielly Ouriques of Brazil

"I just want to be fair to the other candidates. I want to be competitive and be fair with them. I hope everyone can look beyond swimsuit and realize that what I'm doing is more significant," says Sharifa when asked about her limits in wearing swimwear in the pageant.

Sharifa, 21, says that wearing the swimwear has the approval of her parents and close friends. Muslims follow the Islamic dress code of wearing modestly in public places.


"I embrace the concept of my religion which is Islam but it's all about dreams. I'm already here and I think it's time for me to stick with my own decision. This is my own choice and have to bear with my dreams," she says.

Sharifa adds: "I believe in my dreams even if no else did. I want to show the people that despite my religion, who I am, I can make a difference. I am very excited to be with these girls from different countries. I am representing the Philippines and this simply means I can promote my own diversity despite our individual differences."


While Miss Philippines has a different view on swimsuits, Miss Bangladesh Marjana Chowdhury wore a kaftan instead of swimwear. A kaftan is a variant of the robe that has been worn by several cultures around the world for over thousands of years.

"I am actually a Muslim. My country is predominantly Muslim so that's respect for my religion. I am actually covered up," says Marjana during an interview.

She adds: "I think MAPI (Miss Asia Pacific International) is all about beauty in diversity. So I think I brought a different aspect in the competition and I brought more diversity to it. I don't necessarily think that it lessened my points (in the competition) but I think it did open people's minds." - ROBERT REQUINTINA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Loyzaga on viral nude video: 'It was an accident'

Sharon Cuneta slams noisy condo construction

The Philippines' handsomest security guards