Glyssa Perez giving beauty pageant another try



Glyssa Perez finished First Princess at the 2017 Miss World Philippines beauty contest but she is not ready to give up her dreams on pageants.

"Yes! I'm joining Miss World Philippines again next year," said Perez when asked if she will compete again in the pageant, during an exclusive interview in Timog, Quezon City recently.

Asked why Miss World again, Perez said: "I always have the heart to serve the community. Back in Australia, I was very active in the Philippine-Australian community so that ignited my passion. For me, I see Miss World as beauty with a purpose, something that you can give back to the community."


Perez, 23, said that it's really her dream to become a beauty queen. Back in Australia, she has done smaller pageants before she joined Miss Philippines Australia two years ago.

"Many people have encouraged me (to join pageants). I was 15 at that time, sabi ko 'I don't know. I'm still young. Bata pa ako.' It took me four years to do Miss Philippines Australia pero I did smaller pageants na to gain experience, confidence," said Perez who is now based in Manila.

When she joins Miss World Philippines again, Perez will promote breast cancer awareness which she dedicates to her mom Yolita of Bohol.


"I want to promote breast caner awareness because my mom have breast cancer twice. She's okay now. Praise God! I'm so happy she's doing well;

"The second time that she was diagnosed happened when I was about to move to the Philippines. I wanted to be with her but she told me 'Go. Follow your passion and I don't want to hold you back. So in 2016, my mom went into chemotherapy and I was here in the Philippines;

"Breast cancer awareness is something that's really close to my heart and that's something I want to focus on. I want to educate the people on the importance of finding prevention. For me, prevention is really the key," Perez said.


* Cousin of Maxine Medina

Perez and former beauty queen-turned-actress Maxine Medina are first cousins - the mother of Maxine and her father are brothers and sisters.

"We're first cousins. I grew up in Sydney so I'm not that close to Ate Maxine. I'm proud of her actually. But we're so busy and the last time I saw her was during Christmas last year," she said.


Perez also said that she missed the Miss Universe pageant 2016 when her cousin Maxine competed.

"I was actually on the plane while the Miss Universe 2017 pageant was being broadcast," she said.

Perez also said that she hopes to do television hosting in the future. "I love talking to people, getting to know people. I think it's fun. Given the chance, I also want to try acting. If there are opportunities, why not?" - ROBERT REQUINTINA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Loyzaga on viral nude video: 'It was an accident'

Sharon Cuneta slams noisy condo construction

The Philippines' handsomest security guards