Candid Shot: Cj Hirro



CJ Hirro, Miss Global Philippines 2016, is one busy person these days.

Aside from modelling, ghostwriting and events hosting, CJ has added her voice in the campaign of World Vision Philippines to help end sexual exploitation of children, including online.

"I go around and talk about my struggles as a sexual abuse victim, my rise to being a beauty queen, and my newfound purpose of using my title to get people talking about sexual abuse of children and contributing to efforts to end the abuses," says CJ, who finished first runner-up at Miss Global 2016 contest, when asked what keeps her busy.

Aside from that, CJ is involved with pageant-related activities such as trainings, mostly on pageant Q and A, personality development, and empowerment.

Get to know CJ more as she chats with POP NEWS MANILA:


1) Lessons learned in being a beauty queen?

"To be honest, I never dreamed of having the title beauty queen attached to my name. Growing up carrying the baggage of being a sexual abuse victim, I never wanted to be defined by my having been born with a vagina, and be appreciated by how I look. I’ve been told many times, “Good things happen to good-looking people.” I didn’t want that to be my reality. I’ve always just wanted to be known as a smart and strong woman. Joining a national pageant was more of my way to prove to myself that I can really be that; 

"I am barely 5’6, my legs aren’t long, my hips measure a solid 37 even at my thinnest, I hate dressing up, and my hair was short. Joining a national pageant was going to be the ultimate test of my belief that a woman can get to the top regardless of how she looks like, or how she acts. I wanted to prove to myself that I can make a name for myself in this world where everyone is beautiful and perfect. It was also going to be the ultimate test of my belief that I can be irreverently vocal about my stand on sensitive issues and still be celebrated as a woman. Winning a national pageant proved to me with finality that I was right. There are many other beautiful things that I learned once I got into the world of pageantry, but forgive my selfishness, proving I was right, I think, is the most important;"

"The next two important lessons would be that (1) there is no shortage of worthy causes that beauty queens, or any woman in position of influence, can and should champion; and (2) being kind to people is important because going through the whole journey of being a beauty queen will be very expensive if you can’t get passionate and talented people to help and support you because you have a bad attitude."

2) Sweetest person you've met?

"My dad to my mom. There was one time when we were young and going through a rebellious stage, talking back to my mom and not helping her with the house chores, my dad sat us down and told us he takes offense when we disrespect my mom. He said his love for my mom will always be greater than his love for us because his love for my mom was a conscious choice, while his love for us is expected."

3) What have you always wanted? Did you get it?

"To get paid to learn new things and to speak my mind. It might seem vain, but in my defense, I think we all have that need to be heard and to be appreciated for our thoughts, except mine is coupled with the need to keep learning new things, and the want to get paid in the process. Being an events host gives me that. Hopefully, I still get to host my own talk show on TV someday."


4) Best compliment you have ever received?

“Proud of you, girl”- My Dad giving me a nod after he learned I left a drunk man gasping for air after I punched him in the throat when his group tried to sexually harass my younger siblings when we ran into them on our way to the jeepney stop. I was probably between 12 to 14 then. His approval of what I did was empowering."

5) What is your greatest strength?

"My stubbornness. I’m just not one to compromise on my beliefs and preferences to make other people happy. I consider my stubbornness a strength because while I managed to burn a lot of bridges in the past because of it, I am left with people that I actually need to be around me now. People who don’t contribute to the realization of my purpose and dreams are extra weight that I don’t mind letting go of. And I think having this no-nonsense attitude sets me apart from other beauty queens. It has become an important element of my brand."

6) What question do you hate to answer?

“Sa religion ba ‘yan?” When I tell people I don’t drink alcohol.''


7) If you could have only one meal for a day, what would it be?

"Lunch. A steaming bowl of spicy beef sinigang."

8) What cheers you up?

"Booking confirmations to host events."

9) Do you have a favorite book and read much?

"The Little Prince. It’s a must-read for adults."


10) What is the longest you have gone without sleep?

"3 days. This was back when traffic wasn’t that bad and I can book back-to-back events."

11) Do you have anyone to go to for advice?

"My parents and my siblings. We’re very close and we talk about everything."

12) Who is your hero?

"Dr. Raquel Fortun. I thought I was going to be a forensic scientist."


13)  What is your favorite knock-knock joke?

"None. 😜"

14) If you could spend a day with any celebrity, who would it be?

"Keanu Reeves or Bob Dylan. I will spend the day trying to understand and appreciate how their mind works."

15) What is the weirdest thing about you?

"Sharing a given space with so many people gives me panic attacks. I also do not like being the center of attention. That’s why I have never had a big party for anything. Not for my birthday (except my 8th because that’s when I was baptized), not for my graduation (in fact, I didn’t have my official picture taken when I graduated from UP). But I love hosting events."

16) If you could retire tomorrow, what would you do?

"Try to get pregnant. Paint and travel in between."


17) Describe the most terrifying  moment of your life so far? Have you recovered?

"Pretending to be asleep while being sexually abused. I still have a hard time sleeping on beds. For years, I felt safer sleeping in my closet. Now I still sleep on the couch more than my own bed."

18) If you join the circus, what would you perform?

"I’m afraid of heights, I can’t dance, and I have trust issues, so aerial acrobatic dance. Haha. Or anything that does not involve clowns or tied animals."

19) Tell us your dream vacation?

"Anywhere with waterfalls."

20) What is your favorite song?

"John Lennon’s 'Imagine' or 'Bui Doi' from Miss Saigon."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Loyzaga on viral nude video: 'It was an accident'

Sharon Cuneta slams noisy condo construction

The Philippines' handsomest security guards