Juan Karlos Labajo is Face of David's Salon for 2020



At 18, Filipino-German singer Juan Karlos Labajo, the guy behind the blockbuster OPM song for 2019 "Buwan," may have a different taste for musicians.

Forget about Drake, Jay-Z or other rap superstars on the charts. JK would rather listen to the old school music of Sampaguita, Asin, APO Hiking Society or VST and Company. For American music, JK digs Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Ambrosia, and Toto.

"I don't know but I really enjoy listening to their music," said JK during an interview at the David's Salon headquarters in Makati City where he was launched as the newest endorser for the popular salon last January 8.

It took time before JK finally gave an answer as to foreign musicians he idolizes these days. "I like Harry Styles from One Direction."


JK entered the world of showbiz via teleseryes on ABS CBN. But JK wants to focus on music. "Ang hirap pagsabayin ang acting at music. I need to focus on one for quality. Parang walang sense na sumali ako sa music competition (The Voice) then acting. So for now it's music."

He also revealed he is excited for his new guitar to arrive from the US. "You cannot buy that guitar in Manila. Even in Asia. So I really need to ask someone to buy that guitar in the US."

JK is also preparing to launch his debut album in February. "This is just an experimental album. Kami-kami lang gumawa. All original songs."


Asked if he is pressured to equal the popularity of the song "Buwan," JK said: "The dilemma is people expect you to write another hit song. But I don't want to be known as a one-hit-wonder artist. If I write  a song and it becomes a hit, then good. If not, OK lang. We'll see."

JK said that he celebrated the success of "Buwan" by just sleeping. He wished he could translate the 135 million views of his music video "Buwan" on Youtube to P135 million cash.

"It's not like that. If you have 135 million views on Youtube, it doesn't necessarily mean you will also get P135 million. It's not like that," he said.


Believe it or not, JK has already deleted the song "Buwan" on his list of favorite songs on Spotify.

"I don't really enjoy listening to my own songs. I played 'Buwan' only once in Spotify. Just to get the feel of my song on Spotify. But to listen to it everytime, no! After that, ayoko na. It's like watching yourself in a teleserye. Eeeewwww. I don't want to see myself acting on television," JK said.

He considers actors Iza Calzado and Ian Veneracion as some his close showbiz friends. "I go out with seniors pa rin hahaha."


JK said he used to be a crooner when he was just starting in showbiz. On his inspirations to write songs, JK said: "Most of the time, I create movies in my mind. Then I try to write a score out of it. So basically that's my process in writing a song. In real life din."

Despite the success of "Buwan," JK thinks his band is not yet ready to stage a major concert. "I don't want to force anything. I want everything to go well as planned. I still want to have at least two albums and two successful albums. Kasi I just have one successful song. That's not enough for me."

David Charlton, CEO, David's Salon, said JK in the salon's bandwagon is expected to attract younger crowd. As of now, there are 267 David Salons nationwide.

Also present at the event were: Laura Charlton, David’s Salon Artistic Director; Marivic Aguibiador, VP for Finance; Malou Flores, VP for HR; Brenda Wy, Assistant Manager for Marketing; JK’s Manager Rex Belarmino from Prima Stella Management Agency; and renowned hairdresser for David Salon, Mother J Samonte. - Robert R. Requintina/Images by Joy Arguil.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Loyzaga on viral nude video: 'It was an accident'

Sharon Cuneta slams noisy condo construction

The Philippines' handsomest security guards